Monday, May 17, 2010

tales of earthsea

Goro Miyazaki, the son of the famous Hayao Miyazaki, will be getting an American distribution of his film Tales of Earthsea from Disney later this summer (August 13th). This is a very interesting decision on Disney's part seeing as Earthsea was notoriously bad; It won a couple of Japanese Razzie Awards when it premiered in 2006 including 'Worst Film' and 'Worst Director.'

Although Earthsea had some outstanding box office kudos, the film had such mixed reviews I'm surprised that it's receiving screen time here in the states. I personally didn't think the film was that terrible (the backgrounds were beautiful and the animation was really smooth), but I guess we'll have to see how it does in August.

Let's not judge it too much based on the fact that he's Miyazaki's son. I think we should all perceive this film clear of any previous bias to his father's work :)

For those of you viewing my blog posts via facebook, check out the japanese trailer here
For those of you viewing right from the blog, enjoy below!

1 comment:

Brian "Beard" said...

I personally felt the film was not "bad" and really just didn't resolve itself well. The visuals and music are absolutely amazing and stand beside any other ghibli film. The story and characters were fine up until the end in my opinion. Its a shame Goro is getting so much hate on his first film :(