Tuesday, January 18, 2011

light & dark



I wanted to work a bit more on the contrast of the different settings in Arrival. Both locations (city and the country side) mean completely different things to the protagonist so the colors and the textures need to reflect that. I'm obsessed with concept art that has good lighting in it, so I'm trying my best to learn the ins and out of light and shadows.

I realized how easy it is to paint wood. I thought it was going to be really difficult to depict the wood grains, especially in the old boat, but it turned out to be much simpler than it looks. These are still very rough (since they're done at a quarter of the size of what I'll actually paint them in for production) but I'm nonetheless pretty happy with how they turned out otherwise.

However, I still need help learning to paint fabric. I LOVE drawing fabric and rendering it in pencil, but when it comes to digital painting I'm completely clueless. I think I might do some fabric studies for the next post. Look for it!!

No comments: